Thanks so very much to Josie B. from GO MOMMA for passing on to me, the Liebster Award. I'm not going to say I was excited when I saw the accolade, but I'm debating printing the award off and hanging it next to my college degrees...
Okay. Not really. But I am so touched. Sure, ten other bloggers were given this recognition too, but I was one of 11 winners!
The man and I were on our last day of a beautiful vacation on Monday, when I found out about the award. I was checking in on my favorite bloggers and there it was...all written out. Josie (the gift-giver) couldn't notify me personally because she was, um....giving birth! Likely excuse, I know. I got an award and she got a beautiful baby girl. It's kind of the same, eh?
Anyway, writing this blog has been quite a journey for me. I have made and reconnected with many friends from both the blog and the real world. I'm still unfamiliar with so much of the "linking up/ guest blogging/award thingys", but I'm having a blast learning.
I started writing for my extended family and friends from Michigan. I wanted to be able to keep in touch and let them see how my world was spinning. I also was writing for my friends because everyone needs a laugh or six, and writing about my crazy life seemed to be the most logical thing to do to make them smile.
Since the blog's beginning, I've been able to introduce my little shellybean shop, share parenting mishaps, give out a few unhealthy recipes, show some pattern reviews and show off my inept attempts at home improvement. I hope that those of you who have followed (pun intended) along, have found something to smile about or laugh at. As always thank you for reading and especially for letting me know you've stopped by. Comments are like crack to me. I'm not kidding. Completely legal crack, of course.
The wonderful thing about the Liebster award (besides the fact that I get to twirl around on my kitchen floor yelling, "They like me! They really like me!") is that I get to pay it forward to more bloggers. That makes me extremely happy. (please video your winning twirl).
Okay. Here are the rules to the new Liebster winners:
1. Please give your most honest (or creative) answers to my eleven (Holy Hannah, 11?) questions.
2. Come up with 11 questions of your own. (Make them awesome, and if you get juicy answers, link back to me!)
3. Choose 11 of your favorite bloggers to pass the award onto. They must have FEWER than 200 followers. I love this part because you're finding and introducing new bloggers to the blogging universe and letting them know that they matter. How cool is that?
Here are my 11 answers to Josie B.'s thoughtful questions. Deep breath.....Try not to lie. Try not to lie.
1. Who are you writing for (besides yourself) when you blog?
To be honest, I think I started blogging because I was trying to validate that I belonged in the world. My whole family was back in Michigan, I had quit teaching to be a stay at home mom, and I just thought that I could find myself through writing. Like I mentioned earlier, it was also a means to let my family and friends (near and far) know that I was alive and kicking. Now, I enjoy chronicling the funny parts of my life. I try to make sure people know that I'm far from a perfect wife, mother or friend. I'm trying to get by. Just like everyone else, except that I need much more chocolate.
2. Which of your family members (if any) enjoy reading your blog?
The man usually reads everything I write because I go into edit-crazy mode before I post. Sometimes I think he wonders whether or not the world needs to know so much about our world, but he's as supportive as they come. Some of my family from Michigan reads regularly. My sister comments the most (she know how much that means). The man's sister checks my blog every day ( I love that about her). The man's family reads often, as well, but don't like to comment. It's okay though because they always say nice things to me about the blog later on...
3. How much information is TMI for you?
For me personally, there is no such thing as TMI. I grew up in a neighborhood of a million kids who taught me all kinds of things about the world. I also gave birth three times in front of a multitude of strangers and heard ten years of students talk about the goings on in their homes...Nothing shocks me. My blog, on the other hand, is much milder. I do have to consider that a lot of my readers know me as a Kindergarten teacher and not the girl "with a sketchy past." Every once in a while that girl pops up., but in small increments, as not to put any reader (or in-law) into the fetal position...
4. What's the worst "groan" joke you can think of?
Again, I was a kindergarten teacher and have two teenagers. I also have a husband who is ALL boy. If jokes have anything to do with bodily functions, I've heard them all. Let's see.
"Eeyore? Have you seen Tigger?"
Eeyore: No, but I just came back from the toilet and saw a little POOH...
How do you get a Kleenex to dance?
You put a little boogie in it. Bad-um-bum. I'm here all week.
5. What subjects are off limits on your blog and why?
I don't love to speak about my health. The occasional cold and flu is one thing, but anything else is a little weird for me; unless I'm able to help someone, then I guess I'm game.
Also off limits? All the reasons my sex life is better than anything you'd find in 50 Shades of Grey. (that was just to check if you were still with me)
6. Have you ever offended anyone with your blog and would you care if you did?
I've never offended anyone with my blog, but I did stir up quite a fodder when a mean girl from high school caught wind of it. Mind you, I have been graduated for 24 years. For a few days on FB, I was the girl whose life was all rainbows and glitter. She tried to be mean about its positivity every chance she could. It killed me for a while until I realized I was so far removed from her lifestyle, she probably couldn't relate. How can most people change and grow so vastly, yet others stay in the exact same place? When I understood that, I had to let it go.
7. What did you laugh about today?
The man and I were looking at a ridiculous site called "Uh-pinions". It's a place where people write reviews on products (like on Amazon) that are completely hilarious. Being that their parents have zero class, our children found us rolling on the floor trying to talk through laughs. Please. Check it out.
8. When is the last time you cried and why?
My aunt posted a picture of my Grandfather from the summer before he died. In the picture, he was in a swimming pool, sitting on a large, blow-up alligator. The look on his face was mid-laugh and it was everything wonderful I remembered about the man who helped raise me. The gratitude and sorrow I have at his memory are palpable. I bawled heaving cries knowing he would tell me not to get any tears on his good grass...I miss him with my soul. The cleansing cries since, still haven't erased how much I miss him.
9. What's the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to you?
Easy. When my daughter (about 7 years old), asked me if she was going to get "boobs" like me? I was in the bathtub at the time. When I answered yes, she cringed and asked, "Are they going to touch my stomach like yours do?" Oh, I love me some humility.
10. Who makes you laugh the most and why?
Hands down. My children. They are kind, caring kids. But I'm absolutely most proud of their humor. They are quick, sarcastic and get every ounce of that from me. Watching the Olympics the other day, our daughter got up from her chair and without looking, left the room saying "Congratulations on not raising any Olympic Champions. No gold for this house. Good on you, Mom." So. proud.
11. What's the funniest thing you've ever seen?
Too many funny things. That's what makes my world go round. While we were on our vacation though, my son thought this would be a cool note to leave with the hotel workers.
To any hotel workers, I apologize profusely.
Okay, friends. Here are my Liebster Award winners:
1. Ann @ West of Zion
2. Jackie's Sewing
3. Kooky Quirky Cute
4. Kerri @ Mummy and the Monsters
5. Tara @ Therapy4Roses
6. Applebypie @ Another New Day
7. Karen @ Baking in a Tornado
8. Johanna @ Handmade Dreams of Mine
9. Tara Denny @ Nowhere to go but crazy
10. Behind the Smile
11. a pretty mess @ needles, eggshells and hair spray
Here are my eleven questions for you.
1. What was the title of your very first post and what was it about?
2. How did you come up with the name of your blog?
3. Do you have an underground blog or does everyone in your world know you write it?
4. Have you ever had to deal with negative comments?
5. What is your worst pet peeve?
6. Do you think it's important to respond to every comment?
7. Do you blog for money? If yes, has it been worth it?
8. Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. One day. What would you eat?
9. Who was your favorite teacher in school and why?
10. At this moment in your life, are you content?
11. Do you see yourself blogging for the long haul?
That's it! Congrats, Liebster winners! I can't wait to read your answers.
For the rest of my friends.. will you answer #8 or #9 or #10 (or all) in the comments sections? I really would love to know more about you :)
Happy "Hey-we're-all-winners-here" day, friends!